Relationship to Comics:


My relationship with comics is very new. I would call my self a novice comic reader, I am inexperienced when it comes to reading and analyzing comic books. When I signed up for this course I was not expecting to buy thirteen graphic novels that vary in size, length, theme, and topic. Which all fall under the definition of comic. Even from reading the first three chapters of Understanding Comics, the invisible art (McCloud, 1993) I have learned about the history of comics and how people have been putting images in sequential order to convey a meaning for thousands of hundreds of years. I have also learned that there is a lot more to an image that just the whole picture. 

Reading The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney is the closest I've gotten to reading a comic before taking this course, ENG 286H. I read this series in my late elementary, early middle school years. I remember enjoying the books so much because they reminded me of experiences I was also having in school. I could relate and almost fantasize myself in Greg Heffley's situations. Although these books had some comic illustrations to follow along to the text took up the majority of the space and reader's attention. 

              

My personal goal for this semester in course ENG 286H Studies in the Graphic Novel: Women Writing Graphic Novels would be to do just that. To study and explore a variety of comic books and different comic styles. I also hope to learn how to incorporate the graphic novels and comics into my early childhood curriculum. I've never seen one, but I am sure there must be comics produced for young children. If not there would still be some comics with themes or meanings that would be relevant in young children's lives. By the end of the semester I hope that I will be able to understand and read comics, I also hope to be able to read and help young students understand comics too.




Comments

  1. Great job on combining a written blog post with a comic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Speak

Blue is the warmest color by Julie Maroh